Translation Memories (TM) entries are used to provide translation suggestions to linguists working in the Editor. When a segment is active in the Editor, the associated Lilt Memory is checked for TM entries with similar phrases. If any TM entries are found with similar phrases to the segment, the highest matching, most recent TM entry is displayed under the segment as a translation suggestion. The reviewed/unreviewed status of a TM entry does not affect match prioritization.
TM suggestion order
- ICE Match (101%): The selected segment has the exact same words as a TM entry. In addition, the segments before and after the selected segment are also identical to a set of three consecutive segments in the TM.
- Exact Match (100%): The selected segment has the exact same words as a TM entry.
- Fuzzy Match (>75%): The segment has similar words to a TM entry, but there are significant differences.
- If no matches exist above 75%, Lilt provides a Machine Translation (MT) suggestion. If the language pair does not have MT support, no MT suggestion will be shown.
If the Organization Setting for
Case-sensitive matching is enabled, TM matching takes into account any differences in letter casing; otherwise, casing is ignored.
Whitespace differences affect TM matching. Differences in whitespace will result in reduced match percent.
Exact and ICE matches are automatically populated into the target text area (rather than being provided as suggestions).
TM difference display
Fuzzy matches are shown along with a display of the differences between the TM entry and the source.
Let's look at an example:
- Segment source text:
The hares and the tortoise
- TM entry:
The hare and the tortoise>
La liebre y la tortuga
In this case, the TM diff displays the following:
The harehares and the tortoise. The TM entry uses
hare, while the source uses
hares. Any words in the TM suggestion that are missing from the source are underlined. Substitutions from the source are displayed in superscript.
If you do not want to see the TM diff display for the active segment, press
Escape to close it. Once closed, you can still access and use the TM suggestion, but the TM diff display (including match percent) will go away. The diff display can be brought back by refreshing the page.
View all TM matches for a segment
If there are multiple suggestions, they can be viewed in the Segment Context pane on the right side of the Editor. The
Segment context pane displays TM matches sorted in the following order:
- Match percent
- Most recently updated
Note: The order of TM entries displayed in the
Segment context pane is not the same as the TM match order. While the
Segment context pane sorts by reviewed/unreviewed status, TM matching ignores reviewed/unreviewed status.
If there are any identical TM entries in the associated Lilt Memory, the
Segment context pane will display so. Click the
identical results dropdown to display the following metadata for each identical TM entry:
- attributed user
- timestamp of when the entry was last updated