Lilt can integrate with Contentful to automate the import and export of pages for translation. This article describes:
- Links to help prepare a Contentful instance for localization
- How to set up a Lilt / Contentful integration
- How to import and export pages to and from Lilt
Note: You must be a project manager to set up any integrations.
Links to help prepare a Contentful instance for localization
To localize pages on Contentful, you must first set up your site to support multiple languages, specifically called locales in Contentful. The following links can help:
- Localization with Contentful
- Editors, here’s how translation works with Contentful
- Rich text and localization
Once you have set up localization, you will see separate areas in your page with dedicated space for your desired languages.
How to set up a Lilt / Contentful integration
The integration between Lilt and Contentful functions as a Contentful Extension. To add Lilt as an extension, select Settings from the Contentful navigation bar, and then Extensions. On this next page, select Add Extension, and then Install from GitHub.
In the GitHub URL field, paste the following link: https://github.com/lilt/lilt-contentful/blob/master/extension.json
You will be asked to supply the following fields:
- A name for your extension (we recommend “Lilt”)
- An API Token. To request yours, please contact your customer success or service manager
Your extension is now set up.
Next, select Content Model from the Contentful navigation bar, and then select the Content Type you want to localize. Select Sidebar, and then select Use Custom Sidebar. You will see Lilt listed as one of the available extensions. Add Lilt as a custom extension, and then save the Content Model.
How to import and export pages to and from Lilt
When opening a page based on a Content Type that uses Lilt as an extension, you will see additional Lilt functionality on the right-hand sidebar.
To send the current page to Lilt, click the ‘Translate All Languages’ button.
This sends your page to Lilt and performs the following operations:
- Lilt creates a Project for each language of your page
- On the page in Contentful, you will see the progress status of each translation project. These correspond to: in Backlog, in Progress, in Review, Done
- When a Project is complete, the button will change to say “use translation” and will pull it back into the post, and populating your translated text in the appropriate fields
- What Contentful fields does Lilt support?
- Lilt supports all plain text and rich text fields. This includes embedded text from other pages.
- If I make edits to my page after it has been translated, how can I send the updated page to Lilt?
- The “Translate All Languages” button will change to a “Send to Lilt” button if it has not already been completed.