Lilt supports the import and export of a wide range of file types to make your translation workflow as streamlined as possible. All supported formats are listed in the tables below. By default, documents are exported in the same format they were uploaded. Exporting to plain text and XLIFF 1.2 is also available (see the Document Downloads section of the Document Actions article). All translated and confirmed segments can also be exported in TMX format for each Data Source. Supported formats are TMX and SDLTM.
For formats supported by the Enterprise portal please refer to the link.
Desktop publishing formats
|DOCM, DOCX, DOTM, DOTX, POTM, POTX, PPSM, PPSX, PPTM, PPTX, XLSM, XLSX, XLTM, XLTX, VSDM, VSDX
|Microsoft Office 2007+
|ODG, ODP, ODS, ODT, OTG, OTP, OTS, OTT
|OpenOffice / LibreOffice
|PDF (import only!)
|Adobe InDesign, FrameMaker
The following formats do not support export in their original format and thus only support export to text or XLIFF:
- Microsoft Office legacy file formats (DOC, XLS, and PPT). Note: The import of Microsoft Office legacy file formats is only available via the API.
- PDF files. Note that PDF files sometimes contain hard line breaks, which can result in unfavorable segmentation. We suggest to either use the original file format (if available) or convert PDF to Word (there are lots of very good free tools for this). The Word document can be translated, exported, and then saved as a PDF again. In case you already started or even finished translating a PDF but require the original formatting, you can convert the PDF to Word and upload the Word document to the same project. Exact matches from your PDF translation will then be autopropagated to this new document within the Lilt Project.
Text and software localization formats
|CSV, TSV, TXT
|Comma-Separated Values, Tab-separated Values, Plain text
|HTM, HTML, PHP, XML
|HTML, PHP, XML
|SubRip subtitle file
Subtitle and captioning data
|JSON + HTML
|.NET resources, Windows installer XML
|Skype language files
|Memsource XLIFF (undocumented format)
|MemoQ XLIFF (undocumented format)
|SDLXLIFF (undocumented format)
|Wordfast Pro TXML
|Trados Tag Editor
Translation Memory (TM)
|Translation Memory eXchange
|SDL Trados Studio Translation Memory (import only)
- Maximum TM file size: 200 MB, applicable to all file types listed in the table above.
- Large files: For larger files, zip the TMX file and upload with the extension
.tmx.zip. TMX files are currently the only type of zipped memory file Lilt supports for import.
|TermBase eXchange (import only)
|Tab-delimited text (import only)
|Microsoft Excel 2007+ (import only)
|TestMaster (import only)
- Maximum TB file size: 200 MB, applicable to all file types listed in the table above.
- File structure: For TSV, CSV, and XLSX Termbases, simply use a two-column format where the first column contains the terms in the source language and the second column the corresponding translations in the target language. See the Data Source Maintenance Best Practices article for more details.
|SDL Trados Studio Project Package (import only)
SDLPPX packages can be imported in the Project's
Documents window. Lilt will upload the first document in the package and will automatically upload any associated SDLTM files into the Data Source.