Knowledge Base Dictionary
This article outlines terminology usage across the Lilt Platform and Knowledge Base.
- Lilt Translate: Lilt's CAT editor tool for translators and reviewers, powered by Contextual AI
- Translation Memory: Aggregates the following linguist assets:
- Translation Memory (described below)
- Termbase (described below)
- Auto Review: Lilt's automated quality assurance tools
- Lilt Manage: Lilt's project management tool
- Lilt Connect: Lilt's suite of integrations and connectors
- Translation Memory (TM): A collection of TM entries. A translation memory is a collection of previously translated segments.
- TM File: A TMX file containing a collection of TM entries.
- TM Entry: An individual source/target segment. Entries will be added to the Translation Memory when any of the following actions occur:
- A manager Imports a TM File.
- A translator confirms a segment via the Lilt Translate.
- TM Leveraging fills in and confirms a segment.
- Instant Translate fills in and confirms a segment.
- Manual creation of a TM entry using Lilt’s TM editor.
- Termbase (TB): A collection of TB entries. A termbase is a glossary of terms that helps to maintain consistent terminology usage.
- TB File: A CSV, TBX, or XLSX file containing a collection of TB entries.
- TB Entry: An individual source/target phrase. TB entries are added to a Translation Memory via:
- Importing a TB File.
- Manual creation of a TB entry using Lilt's TM editor.
- BLEU score: A value between 0 and 1 indicating how closely matched a machine-translated segment is to a good quality reference translation. This value is useful in evaluating the quality of machine-translated text.
- Computer-Assisted Translation (CAT): Human translation completed with help from computer software. This is also sometimes referred to as machine-assisted translation.
- Do Not Translate (DNT): Phrases, terms or sections of text that should not be translated, such as mathematical expressions or variable names in code. These are also sometimes referred to as Non-Translatables.
- Machine Translation (MT): Automated translation completed by the computer without a human translator. Lilt's Contextual AI Engine generates a form of machine translation.
- Machine Translation Post-Editing (MTPE): A task assigned to a human translator to post-edit machine translations, often with the goal of achieving human-quality translation results.
- Translation Management System (TMS): Software that helps manage and automate the translation process by:
- Organizing localization workflow.
- Tracking progress of translation projects.
- Reducing manual tasks via automation.